Okay, the second version with sunshine is done. I was also armed with mosquito repellent and was thus able to stay longer, which resulted in a longer shoot than the original. I sprayed some on her wig too, so that I didn’t have to photoshop giant killer mosquitoes off her head while post-processing. Last time the photos were flat due to the clouds and I used a picture style I’ve made specifically for Seere (and my other red-heads) and that resulted in me having to de-red her skin tone and generally edit them a lot. This time I was able to shoot with a more natural style (customised faithful is my go-to) and had to only do minimal editing, so yay.
Yes, I attempted to re-do this same pose from the previous shoot because I hated how I posed the tail fin last time. Not necessarily better but at leas the fin doesn’t bother me anymore.
Continue reading “Sunny Stream”
Finally, Nae’s first official shoot. I’m really happy with a few photos and less than happy with the rest, but I’m planning a trip back there again in the coming days to attempt some more photos. This stream is at a nature reservation site and I had to be extra careful to not stomp on the plants and moss, so I only had a few footholds (mostly spots in the stream) and my angles were a bit limited. I also forgot to take my reflector -or more like considered it and for some unknown reason decided against it. I also want to take Nae to the deeper stream I took Kilbas/Avis photos at last year, but I think I want the weather to get warmer so that I can actually stand in the water. This stream is very shallow so rubber boots are enough, but that one is knee high and I don’t have boots that long. xD
I do think I want a warmer coloured wig for her -and I still need to re-make her tail fins but ugh, I keep failing every time.
Mosquito repellent would be a valid accessory as well. Much of my time was spent hitting my own head and I rather sure I carried multiple mosquito corpses back home with me in my hair today.
Continue reading “Mossy Stream”
Hello everyone! As you’ve probably noticed from my last entry, I finally received my Bimong order from last May and got to work with her immediately. I spend the first day modding the torso and the next few days painting her and playing with her. And since I documented most of what I did (starting with the tail last April) I thought I’d make a post about it. For my own records if it’s not of interest to anyone else.
I’ve wanted a mermaid doll for forever. Actually since childhood: I quite loved my barbies and other dolls with mermaid tails. I even have Siren because the Soom Cass pieces at the time were pretty much the only things that came close and they’re beautifully shaped. But as I am now, I’m also very picky with actual mermaid tails. Most dolls either don’t have attractive jointing in them, the tail is too thin or too short or they’re only sold as giant fullsets and are too expensive for me (looking at you Asleep Eidolon and Angell Studio). Or then the dolls are just tiny and I wanted something bigger. But when I saw the Fairyland seahorse tail for the first time, I quite liked what I saw. It’s not that smooth or mermaid-y looking but the jointing is quite well hidden and above all: versatile. So yes, I knew I wanted it, and that brought forward this character.
So, once the bottom half was decided on, how about the actual doll? Initially, I thought I’d get a grey skin Withdoll for this character, but I already have most of the head sculpts I want from them and I’m not a huge fan of the torso of the girl body anyway. However, a cold blue tail with a grey torso would’ve made a really nice cold climate mermaid. But when Bimong announced his final preorder for Narae and Narin, it all clicked. I’d wanted a 408 head for a long time and also a tan Narae, so what better than to combine the tail, 408 and tan skin. She’d be more warm toned and kind of tropical for our climate but what the heck. xD
I originally hunted for the clear blue tail, but I let all the ones I could find slip through my fingers. I didn’t have the funds and I wasn’t looking at it that seriously as I wasn’t, at the time, sure what doll I would get to be on it. Well, when I finally was able to afford and seriously look for one, pretty much all of them had gone and the market started to be replaced with that steampunk tail -which also was clear, but I did not want the carvings and gears and stuff on it, so it was no good. Luckily I at least found one mint tail with all the pieces that I could buy, so that’s what I had to use. But it really needed to be dyed. :3
Continue reading “A 10 month project (working on and modding Naenia)”
Woo, I finally received my Narae order from Bimong last week and got straight to work with her. I’ve had her tail piece since before I ordered her, but I had to mod the waist to make her fit on it. I can’t wait for the snows to melt and the weather to get warmer to actually get nice photos of her. A good wig would be on the agenda too, but I first have to message some wig makers and gather up the funds. I haven’t finished all of her blushing yet and these photos are really dark and all, so not the best. But I just can’t help but to play with her. x3
I’ll make a separate entry of her modding, dyeing and stuff once I get good face up photos taken.
So yes, this is Naenia or Nae for short. Her name means death song or funeral song pretty much. She’s a Naiad, which is a type of a nymph that preys on humans and animals too. Similar to Siren but she’s not quite as predatory and not as resistant to cold.
Continue reading “A Death Song”